Источник
The home of <i>The Economist'</i>s data journalism, in charts, maps, infographics and interactive-data features
Выбор редакции
25 мая, 18:40

Ireland’s people are more liberal than its abortion laws imply

  • 0

IRISH voters will decide in today’s referendum whether to strike down the constitution’s eighth amendment, which prohibits abortions except to save the mother’s life. Two-thirds of them supported the law when it was put to a public vote in 1983. But such conservatism has waned.

Выбор редакции
24 мая, 19:56

Introducing our prediction model for America’s mid-term elections

  • 0

ON NOVEMBER 6th 2018 the United States will hold elections for all 435 seats in the House of Representatives, the lower chamber of Congress. These are contested every two years, both alongside the presidential race and in mid-term elections.

Выбор редакции
24 мая, 19:38

Billions of women are denied the same choice of employment as men

  • 0

EVEN as rich countries seek to rid workplaces of subtle gender bias, in many developing ones discrimination remains overt. According to the World Bank, women are barred from certain jobs in 104 countries (see map).

Выбор редакции
24 мая, 18:18

Who’s ahead in the mid-term race

  • 0

Overall chance of winning a House majorityUpdated May 27, 2018 Democrats65% chancearound2 in 3around1 in 3Republicans35% chanceDem 65% chance around2 in 3Rep 35% chance around1 in 3AFTER two years of Republican government, Americans will go to the polls on November 6th to elect a new Congress.

Выбор редакции
23 мая, 17:14

America is losing the battle against robocalls

  • 0

ROBOCALLS, the pre-recorded phone messages peddling debt-reduction and timeshares, have irritated consumers in America for over a decade. According to YouMail, a call-blocking service, 3.4bn robocalls were blasted out in April, equivalent to nearly 1,300 every second.

Выбор редакции
22 мая, 20:01

Weather and violence displace millions inside borders every year

  • 0

IN 2015 the refugee crisis in the eastern Mediterranean made headlines when a picture of a dead three-year-old Syrian boy, face down on a beach on the southern tip of Europe, brought home the tragic consequences of conflicts raging in Africa and the Middle East.

Выбор редакции
21 мая, 20:56

As GDPR nears, Google searches for privacy are at a 12-year high

  • 0

MAY 25th marks the deadline for companies to comply with the General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR). The law, passed two years ago by the European Union (EU), requires firms to take better care of their customers’ data. Meeting its requirements is a tall order.

Выбор редакции
19 мая, 12:18

Why expensive weddings are a bad idea

  • 0

GETTING hitched is not cheap. Various estimates put the cost of a typical British wedding at anywhere between £18,000 and £25,000 ($24,200 and $33,700), roughly eight to eleven months of disposable income for the median household.

Выбор редакции
18 мая, 17:15

How heavy use of social media is linked to mental illness

  • 0

MAY 20th will mark the end of “mental-health awareness week”, a campaign run by the Mental Health Foundation, a British charity. Roughly a quarter of British adults have been diagnosed at some point with a psychiatric disorder, costing the economy an estimated 4.5% of GDP per year.

Выбор редакции
17 мая, 23:33

Britain cuts the maximum stake for fixed-odds betting terminals

  • 0

PRESS a button and £100 disappears; 20 seconds later, repeat the process.

Выбор редакции
16 мая, 22:48

A record of ancient Rome’s economy turns up in a glacier in Greenland

  • 0

SILVER mining in antiquity was a dreadfully unpleasant business. Galena, a silver-bearing lead ore mined in Europe, mostly in Iberia, was crushed and heated for hours to yield its silver. The process was nasty but necessary: silver was the main coin of the Mediterranean region, and especially the Roman world.

Выбор редакции
15 мая, 20:08

The price of oil inches towards $80 a barrel

  • 0

JUST three years ago, oil prices were in free fall. Spurred by the rapid growth of fracking in the United States and Saudi Arabia’s decision to keep producing large volumes of crude, the price of a barrel of oil lost more than two-thirds of its value in 2014-15. After hitting bottom at about $30, the trend reversed.