- 16 января, 19:05
- Zacks Investment Research
Earnings season has officially begun and many expect it to be one of the best in years.
For the S&P 500, earnings are expected to rise 8.8% year-over-year. Wall Street will also be tuning in to see how guidance looks, especially with many companies now updating their outlooks thanks to the new corporate tax cuts.
With the global economy heating up, it may pay to check out companies in sectors you might not have been paying much attention to before including finance, industrials and energy.
These 5 large cap companies are leading off this earnings seasons for their industries and should provide a roadmap for their peers.
Will this earnings season really be as hot as everyone thinks?
5 Important Earnings Charts to Watch This Week
1. CSX CSX recently lost its CEO, Hunter Harrison, but the shares have still busted out to new 5-year highs in 2018 as the transports, especially the railroads, have gotten hot. It has only missed once in the last five years. Watch guidance.
2. Goldman Sachs GS is the second largest component in the Dow after Boeing now that it is trading over $250 per share. It’s nearly 7% of the Dow Industrial index. It has missed only twice in the past 5 years and shares are hitting new 5-year highs. If you care about the direction of the Dow Industrials, this is a “must-watch” report this week.
3. PPG Industries PPG hasn’t missed in 5 years but shares have been trending in a narrow trading range since 2015. This industrial coating manufacturer, headquartered in Pittsburgh, would seem to be an ideal type of company that will see a breakout in 2018.
4. IBM IBM has only missed twice in 5 years but declining revenue has spooked investors, including Warren Buffett and Berkshire Hathaway which has sold most of its holdings in it. But with blockchain and the cloud companies picking up steam, could IBM transform itself into a blockchain player?
5. Schlumberger SLB has only missed once in 5 years but shares hit a new low in 2017. Yet energy companies have been hot in 2018, including this one. Will it give investors even more reason to celebrate in 2018?
Want to Learn How to Trade Options?
Have you always wanted to trade stock options but are unsure where to begin or what to look for?
Each week, Zacks’ Dave Bartosiak will bring you a detailed explanation of the trades “live” on YouTube.
Watch him go through the trade as he answers your questions in real time.
Become one of Dave’s minions. Join the Zacks Live Trader community today. It’s free!
Today's Stocks from Zacks' Hottest Strategies
It's hard to believe, even for us at Zacks. But while the market gained +18.8% from 2016 - Q1 2017, our top stock-picking screens have returned +157.0%, +128.0%, +97.8%, +94.7%, and +90.2% respectively.
And this outperformance has not just been a recent phenomenon. Over the years it has been remarkably consistent. From 2000 - Q1 2017, the composite yearly average gain for these strategies has beaten the market more than 11X over. Maybe even more remarkable is the fact that we're willing to share their latest stocks with you without cost or obligation.
See Them Free>>
Want the latest recommendations from Zacks Investment Research? Today, you can download 7 Best Stocks for the Next 30 Days. Click to get this free report
CSX Corporation (CSX): Free Stock Analysis Report
International Business Machines Corporation (IBM): Free Stock Analysis Report
PPG Industries, Inc. (PPG): Free Stock Analysis Report
Goldman Sachs Group, Inc. (The) (GS): Free Stock Analysis Report
Schlumberger N.V. (SLB): Free Stock Analysis Report
To read this article on Zacks.com click here.
Zacks Investment Research